Skip to main content


Who can live in University Place?

University Place is open to all undergraduate (excluding first-time freshman and first time transfer students with less than 24 credit hours), graduate, professional, veteran and international students.

How do I sign a lease at University Place?

Visit us in the leasing office at University Place to sign a lease and learn more about the property. If you want to live at University Place, but you are not able to come in, please call our office at 304-293-2253 for more information on how you can complete the leasing process from a distance.

What utilities are included?

All utilities are included with your lease; water, gas, sewer, cable, internet and electric.

Is there an application fee?

Yes. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee that will be billed to your student account upon submission of your application.

How do I pay my rent?

All payment and charges are processed through your WVU MyAccount via the WVU Portal or at the WVU Hub. Visit the Hub’s tutorials webpage for instructions on how to pay a specific university apartment-related charge.

Is financial aid accepted?

Yes! Financial aid, loans and scholarships can be applied towards your rent upon receipt of the award. Rent or a portion of rent, may be paid from such award--be sure to talk with a financial aid counselor. If you plan on using financial aid to pay for your apartment, please let the front desk staff know at the time you sign your lease, they will make the appropriate billing changes.

What does 'individual leases' or 'by-the-bed leases' mean?

Each apartment at University Place is leased by the bed, which means that every person in the apartment has his or her own individual room and individual lease. This is great for you, because you don’t have to stress about your roommates paying their rent or bills. No matter what, you are only responsible for your individual rent.

Can I pick my roommates or can you match me with a roommate?

You can do either! You are welcome to live with your friends, or we can perform a custom match with roommates. Our roommate matching process allows us to identify matches in personality types, interests and lifestyle towards a compatible living arrangement. You will fill out a form and submit it to our office should you want to be matched.

Are there resident assistants?

No, there are no resident assistants at University Place. University Place is an independent, apartment-style community managed by WVU. We do have community assistants available in the leasing office to assist you with your living needs should you need any help.

Do I have a meal plan at University Place?

No. Since University Place is an apartment community, you do not need to have a meal plan. If you would like a meal plan, you do have the option to purchase one through WVU.

How long are the lease terms?

All leases run August 1st-July 15th.

When can I move in?

Residents can move in starting August 1 of their lease term year. An email with designated times will be sent out to new residents moving in, one to two months prior to their arrival. If you cannot move in during the designated time period, please call the office to see if after hours move in with a staff member can be arranged.

What concealed carry regulations are in place for University Apartments?

BOG Rule 5.14 applies to WVU Campus spaces. That includes common areas and grounds around University Apartments, i.e., parking lots, hallways and leasing offices which are treated like other areas of campus. The apartment units themselves for University Apartments are not subject to the Rule since those areas are rented, leased or are under an exclusive agreement for the full-time occupancy and use of a private entity. Therefore, the tenant, not WVU, can dictate whether concealed carry is permitted within an apartment. 

Any resident who is not following the enforced campus carry rules will be referred to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities/UPD. If a resident is experiencing issues with a roommate and/or guest following campus carry rules, they should contact UPD or email for assistance. 

For more information on Campus Carry rules and regulations, FAQ’s, and more, please visit

Is smoking allowed?

WVU is a tobacco-free campus, therefore, University Place Apartments does not allow tobacco use of any kind.

Is drinking allowed?

University Apartments are not dry; however, you must be of legal drinking age in order to drink and possess any alcohol on the property. All WVU students are to abide by the WVU Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, which strives to foster a campus community that protects the health, welfare, safety, property, and rights of all members of our community.

Do I need to get renters insurance?

Per the lease, a resident is required to maintain a policy. Your belongings are not insured be the lease agreement. Renter’s insurance may often be purchased as an option on a parent’s home owner’s or automobile insurance policy and it is relatively inexpensive in most cases.

What if I need maintenance?

On-site maintenance is available at University Place. Residents should report needed repairs to the Leasing Office or to the Facilities Service Desk as soon as possible. Prompt maintenance service is the goal of University Place. In order to achieve this goal, we need your cooperation. The Property Manager is available at 293-2253, 8:15am to 4:45 pm, Monday through Friday. If emergency problems occur after office hours, you may call DPS at 293-3136. When calling, you must give your name, apartment number and the maintenance problem. Only emergency maintenance problems should be reported to DPS and all routine maintenance problems will be handled through the Leasing Office.

How do I receive mail and packages?

Letter-sized mail and small packages are delivered by the US Postal Service to your locked mailbox located across from the leasing office. Larger USPS packages are accepted at the main office. The office staff will notify residents of the delivery and secure their package(s) in the leasing office. Residents can sign for and pick up their package(s) in the leasing office during business hours.

What type of security is offered?

There is secure card-controlled access into all buildings and apartments using your student ID. Only people living at University Place will be granted access into the building. Security cameras are throughout the buildings and the premises is routinely patrolled by the University’s Department of Public Safety.

Are pets allowed?

For health and safety reasons, dogs, cats, birds, snakes and all other animals or pets, except for fish, are prohibited from University Place apartments and townhomes. Residences are permitted a fish tank, not to exceed 10 gallon..

Who is my internet provider?

Apogee is now the internet provider for University Place. For a seamless transition, you can register all your devices now. Log into the Apogee portal at using your WVU Login credentials, then authenticate with Duo. Review the steps in detail here:

If login and account registration assistance is needed, Apogee provides 24/7 customer support at (866) 502-4590, by live chat, and by email at

Apogee only supports issues related to internet service in residence halls and apartments. You will continue to connect to WVU.Encrypted on campus for secure Wi-Fi. For other technical assistance, contact the ITS Service Desk at 304-293-4444 or submit a ticket online

Are there laundry facilities available?

Each apartment has its own washer and dryer unit.

Where will I park my car?

Note parking is not guaranteed and only available on a first come, first serve basis. University Place has a parking garage across the street from the building. Parking is $135 a month with a signed lease. Non-residents can also purchase a parking permit from the leasing office.

What on-site retailers are available?

University Place’s on-site retailers include Insomnia Cookies, Pro Performance, Papa Allen’s Pizza and the Market @ UPlace which will feature a full-service Starbucks.